Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, July 17, 2008

It's All Relative...


::::::::::::::::::::Book Review::::::::::::
We just finished listening to this book on c.d.:



We loved it! Michael Reisman, the author, was inspired by the author Douglas Adams and the same cheeky fun mixed with science shines throughout this book. There is also a fair amount of menacing situations for the 3 young children in the book, too. The narrator, Nicholas Hormann, has a captivating voice and I enjoyed his portrayal of each of the characters. Noah exclaimed that this was his favorite book that he has heard on c.d. He has heard several. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the book, too. We will be reading the book as a family when we finish our Sisters Grimm selection (we are enjoying that one, as well). My advice is grab a towel when you read this book because you are going on a great trip!



I'm going to throw these Flair buttons in because Einstein's Theory of General Relativity is part of the story, too:






::::::::::::::::::A Sweet Surpise::::::::

is a new kit from Karen Lewis





I went for my walk yesterday, but I only did 3 miles so we wouldn't be late to my nephew, Tyler's birthday party. My right foot only hurt the first 2 miles :). Michael is going read up about how to tape my foot properly. Maybe that will help because staying off it isn't the greatest option.

:::::::::::::::::::::Speaking of Tyler::::::::::

He was KING of the day, yesterday. The fire station down on Ebenezer Rd, in Sharpsburg did a fabulous job showing the party kids their equipment. The "rookie" put on his turn out gear for us and let the kids get a photograph. The kids all got to play with the fire hose on the pumper truck and sit in it. The truck was brand new and had that "New Fire Truck Smell"! The EMTs showed us the ambulance and let Tyler get hooked up to the monitor and get a print out of his heart beat. They also let us tour their kitchen, sleeping quarters, and rec room. It was a really cool experience.

Afterwards, we went to Tracy and Joe's for some cake and juice. Evey picked out a snake Webkinz for Tyler and gave him a stuffed Gorilla. I'll post some photos when I locate where I put my uplink cable.

::::::::::::::::::::Iron Eyes Cody:::::::::
On Michael's blog he responded to a question about what he considered the most effective commercial. Here is mine:


Give a Hoot...Don't Pollute! Take care! :)

7 comments:

SarahB said...

Thanks for the audiobook recommendation! Love the flair!

lorig said...

Wow, that is a compelling ad. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you for the book review. I added that book to my list to check out as I am always looking for new books to read for me and for my girls.

Melissa said...

Love those buttons! Sounds like the kids had a fantastic time!

Anonymous said...

Love all these 'buttons ' too ( is that how they are called) seems like you are all having a great time and love your new page!
Cheers and thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!

JP2E said...

My favorite TV ad was the Nixon/Goldwater "DAISY" ad from one of the early presidential races. A small child (picture eve at age 3) was playing with a daisy. As she picked each petal she would recite the famous "they love me, they love me not" poem kids always do.
When she ended with "they love me not", the picture faded from the daisy to a nuclear mushroom cloud.
The aleged claim was that if parents made the wrong choice in the upcoming election all the sweet daisies would be gone forever. Very scary for kids who lived near military bases and did "duck and cover drills"...

Danielle said...

love the buttons you have on your blog! do you mind if I "steal" some? great book review! Will put it on my list!

Carol said...

Fantastic that the firebrigade do that for the kids, I wonder if Tyler wants to be a fireman now when he grows up?