Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Camp out at Blood Mtn:


Background paper from Worn Comforts by Jen Wilson, Bark Alpha by Mo Jackson, Staple from Emma's Sundress by Michelle Coleman, leather stitch from Authentic by Sara Carling, Paint Brush Stroke by Michelle Coleman, Font: Marcieshand

Michael and Aaron went with their scout troop last weekend. They slept in the shelter instead of the tents they brought. From what they tell me the rain was coming down rather relentlessly for a while and the boys were grateful for the shelter and not having to worry about setting up the tents they brought.
:::

We had Court of Honor last night and Michael, as the Scout Master, asked Aaron to do a CPR demonstration. He had just gone over Emergency Preparedness with his leader and he PAID ATTENTION! Their was a huge crowd in the Primary Room for the meeting and Aaron spoke clearly and audibly, while using a large stuffed dog as his dummy for the demonstration. His leader, Bro. Kotter was visibly pleased with Aaron's accurate demonstration. Aaron received his Cooking and Environmental Science Merit Badges, and his 2nd Class Scout rank.

:::

I presented the video slideshow presentation for the Court of Honor. One resource I used for just a couple of funny sound bites was: Daily Wav. Rachel and I kept playing one by Paula Deen about gaining weight. She just had us giggling. I used her sound bite for the beginning of the section showing the boys working on their cooking merit badge.

I've learned to keep the presentations around 10-12 minutes because that is pretty much the extent of anyone's attention length.

:::

Noah recieved 2 letters this week, one from his new first grade teacher, Mrs. Tiller, and one from his Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Barclay. I am so impressed that each would take the time to send him a welcoming letter to him, especially that his former teacher sent him an invitation for him to drop by and see her and to have a great year with his new teacher.

:::

We finished Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH last night. My kids liked the book much better than the movie. The movie used some weird magic hocus pocus that had nothing to do with the story. Such a wonderful book. The book for family reading is now Peter and the Shadow Thievesby Dave Barry. I'm stoked to read this one and so are the kids. I will give my critique of the book as we get into it.

:::

Eve wants to play www.pbskids.org, so I will sign off now!

2 comments:

Michael Taylor said...

I too loved this book. Please see my review of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH at http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/2006/07/humanity.html

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

I also LOVE Paula Deen!! The way she says "oil" makes me think of my husband's mission, because he kept talking about "bowled peanuts" whenever he talked about Georgia. LOL

My boys are still too young for those books, but I will definitely check them out before they get old enough. I love kids' books! :) And Dave Barry, too boot!