Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Friday, August 11, 2006

"When I Grow UP"...

I promised to scrapbook some of my favorite Shel Silverstein quotes, so here is the first one:




Background paper: IOD Grass Stain
Notepaper: Lemon Grass by IOD
Torn note paper: Gina Miller "bbyob Kit"
Pointing finger: Weird is wonderful by Maya
Bust Cream, Magnifying glass, fingerprint and microscope from the internet
Staple: Scrap Artist
Font: Pea Lis, Ash94
Alpha: Board Book Alpha by Mo Jackson, Surprise Alpha by Carrie Stephens, Boho Chic alpha by Michelle Coleman, Crepe paper alpha by Mo Jackson
Measuring tape and journal: Mo Jackson
Doodles: Angie Briggs and Amy Martin


Quote by Shel Silverstein: “Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”


Some Things I want to be:
1.I want to be a detective like Nancy Drew when I grow and catch the bad guys!
2.It would cool to be a scientist. I could look at wiggly stuff in a microscope.
3.Maybe I could be a vet!
Some things I don't want:
I don't want b@@bs! They look uncomfortable and I couldn't sleep on my stomach any more!


::::::::::::::::::::::::
Speaking of Shel Silverstein...Sister Hall from Church suggested I check out his cd of Where the Sidewalk Ends that has him reading his poetry. The girls were especially excited to hear them read aloud by the author. I pass on the suggestion to listen to Shel read his stuff aloud. He is hilarious...he even cracks himself up!

::::::::::::::::::::::::

After orientation day at school for Rachel and Noah we went and picked up my mother for a trip to the Fernbank Museum of Natural History. Fernbank is currently running a special exhibit on Chocolate. While we were there we got to have a creature encounter with 1 of their 4 millipedes. The thick little dude was kind of cool...and BONUS...he wasn't crawling around my house! We got to touch his back and legs. We found out he was a detravore...which means eats dead and decaying things and they have 2 legs on each side of their segments. This particular millipede had 400 legs. They are not venomous like centipedes.
The kids had a blast on the upper level where they keep an interactive room with sensory games that use optical illusions, creating your own giant bubbles, sound pipes that you put your ear to and listen for the movement of air like when you listen to a sea shell. You also get to pretend to be doing a weather report in front of a green screen.

We then traveled to Zestos, a cool diner establishment, for lunch. They have kickin' chocolate malts! So yummy! During the meal my mom tried to pick up Noah's styrofoam cup, and preceded to stick her thumb right through the bottom of the thin side and douse herself with cold Sprite! After a ton of napkins I had helped her clean it up...and her dress soaked up most of the drink (nothing like those absorbent gauze summer dresses to clean up any spills) Noah demanded a new Sprite. The other kids were willing to let him sip theirs, but Noah had listened to Dr. Lamb's lesson on GERMS in Kindergarten at the end of last year, and would have none of the sharing business. My mom asked if he would drink the Sprite if she gave him a new straw, but he said if Rachel drank out of it it had germs. My mom relented and bought him a new Sprite and that is when Noah informed us, "I am germ free!"...
"I am working to make everyone germ free!" This little germ free moment included a demonstration, for my mother, on the proper two handed method of gently picking up a styrofoam cup! We were laughing so hard people were looking at us!

On the drive home Rachel and Noah were arguing in the back of the minivan and Rachel yells..."Mom, Noah said he hates me!"
Noah immediately responds,..."I meant I hate you in a GOOD way!"
Well, now that is cleared up your a bizarre little twit (Just my thoughts...though I hear they can condemn you...drat!)

:::::::::::::::::::::::

In digital scrapping news...I was selected at random from the gallery posts during the Iron Orchid Design chat to receive 4 free packs their designs of my choosing. I'm just waiting for the password to be able to download the files. I had a good time discussing different topics, none of them scrapping related. If you look at my layout above you will see the denim jacket that everyone thought was groovy during the evening chat.

1 comment:

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

Congrats on the random winning!! :) Which kits did you choose?

That pic is of YOU???? ROFL I thought it was your daughter. Pass the Dunce cap to me, please. :P LOL @ the b..bs!!!

Your kids are a riot! :D