Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Ignorant in More Than One Language!

::::::::::::::::::::Homeschool:::::::

We are working on a Shakespeare block with The Usborne World of Shakespeare as a great resource. Aaron is amazed at the definition changes of several words he already knows. After discussing how tragedies work in Shakespeare's works we watched the BBC presentation of "Macbeth".


We have also been doing 30 minutes of German each day using the Pimsleur cds. I wasnt' sure what I would think about learning German. I am used to hearing French and Spanish lessons. Happily, we are both enjoying listening and repeating the phrases. I always enjoy learning to say to native speakers that I don't actually understand the rest of their language. I can say I'm ignorant with pride!!!

Aaron likes to don his biking helmet each morning and ride his bike around while Rachel and Noah wait for the big yellow bus. Sometimes he is joined by his friend from up the street who wants something to do instead of just standing at his bus stop. Aaron loves to whiz by without his hands on the bar, or try to go so fast that he doesn't have to pedal to get up our inclined yard.

All of our paperwork is in for Georgia Virtual Academy and we are waiting to see if there is room for him. It doesn't matter either way. We have been working since Gwinnett county started school.


:::::::::::::::::Noahism::::::

It has been awhile since I posted a Noahism I will fill the void a bit, today.

Noah walked up to me yesterday afternoon and said in all seriousness, "Ya know mom, Ben 10 is in its glory days. I mean what will it mean to anyone in 5 to 10 years? What will have replaced it? Robot Boy, or something? I mean really, Ben 10 is in its glory days."

Glory days? For a kid who doesn't particularly enjoy reading he certainly has his ears open. His vocabulary always makes us chuckle. He always seems like such an old soul.

::::::::::Noah's First Day of School Layout::::::




Lusious Solids by Bren Boone
W is for Watercolor and Alpha by The Powers Sisters at Scrap Artist
Backward Staples by Jenn Patrick
Heavy Duty Staples by Kate Hadfield
Dear Diary by Erica Hite
Wordy Bits by Kate Hadfield and Tiff Brady
Basic Alpha Tape and Stitched Doodle Alpha by Kate Hadfield
Font: DJB MANDY by Darcy Baldwin at The Digichick



Smiles!

6 comments:

dypecek said...

he is a talented !!!! super blog !!!

Michelle Filo said...

thanks for stoping by my blog! I love the "glory days" I am going to teach that to my 3yo and see if he says it, it would be funny! you are so good to do the homeschooling thing, I find hard just thinking about it :)
ah, love your blog banner and title :)

Anonymous said...

Noah is really a serious deep thinker. I love that wonderful little boy. XXXOOO Granny

marcus said...

If you remind me, the next time we get together I know a song that will help you remember how to say you don't understand someone in German. It's basically says, "I'm from a foreign country and don't speak German very well," "Please slow down, I don't understand what you're saying", but it's sung to the tune of "She'll be Coming 'round the Mountain". It's quite handy.

Michael Taylor said...

I remember my glory days...

Unknown said...

Great blog! Love the layout with the artwork.