Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Friday, August 03, 2007

Some Fun and Shabby Comments

My husband saw this comic strip and thought of me:



A little background on this as it relates to being funny to us. When I was a kid my mother would introduce me to people and they would then begin calling me Vicky. My mother would politely correct them that that was not my name. This scenario has been repeated all of my life. My husband, Michael, is a "Michael", so when folks call and ask for Mike I just laugh and tell him that someone we don't know is calling. Once someone who purported to know us well introduced us from the pulpit as "Mike and Vicky". We cringed. Names are important, or else we wouldn't use them and name and classify everything. I try not to be pushy about it, though. Rachel will usually tell people for me. She will say, "My mom likes to be called Victoria."

So, if I have been getting your name wrong let me know...after my little diatribe. ;)


::::::::::::::::::Jim Dale of Harry Potter fame::::::::

I love Jim Dale's voice and he was hilarious on Wait! Wait!. Got to the section called "Not My Job". You get such tidbits as where he got the voice for Dobby.


:::::::::::::::::::::Date Night?::::::

Michael and I are hoping to go on a date night and see The Bourne Ultimatim. We enjoyed the previous two films.

::::::::::::A Shabby Invitation...never looked so good:::::::

Once my dsl was repaired and I opened my email this invitation was waiting for me:


I'm excited to be able to play with her great designs in a few months.
I get to sport this little thing as part of the November Guest C.T.



:::::::::::::::Shopping with my Girly!:::::::






::::::::::::::Book Review::::::::
The Sisters Grimm: Once Upon a Crime


Another action packed story from Michael Buckley that kept the kids pleading to, "read ONE MORE CHAPTER! PLEASE!" The action takes place in NYC where the rag tag group led by Granny Grimm go to take the injured Puck. The king of Fairie, Oberon, is murdered and the Grimms, along with ex-sheriff Hamstead (one of the 3 little pigs) and Mr. Canis (The Big Bad Wolf) try to track down the killer. There is even a love interest for Mr. Hamstead. There is also the pungent cocoon that follows Sabrina around that creates a lot of laughs. The Wizard of Oz also plays quite a prominent role as a friend of Veronica Grimm, the girls' mother. Everyone is surprised to find out some information about Veronica that makes Sabrina rethink an important decision. This is a wonderful continuation of the series and we look forward, excitedly, to book 5 that will be coming out in December.

Non Sequitur
Just thought this was funny in light of the whole fairy tale genre book review.



:::::::::::::Aunt Teashy:::::::


This is one of my SIL's with our twin nieces.


Text: When Corinna and Dakotta saw Aunt Teashy they set off running and she scooped them up into her open arms.


Midnight in the Garden kit by Kay Miller
Word Art by Bethany Mott
Doodle Journal art, Pipecleaner flowers, doodled photo corner (Color Me Funky combo with Gina Miller) by Kate Hadfield
Doodle Frame by Holly McCaig
Black frame, scalloped border and white tab from Springtime in Paris by Michelle Godin
Doodle Alpha by Weeds and Wildflowers
Proof frame (modified) by Christina Renee
Block Alpha by Natalie Braxton
Font: DJB MANDY by Darcy Baldwin at The Digichick


::::::::::::::::Next Family Reading Book::::::

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift


Have a happy weekend!

Smiles!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cartoon is GREAT ! I can relate to that ! My mother Named me Adrienne because it was a name that she *KNEW* would be hard to shorten !! I believe names to *make* a person

klonghall said...

I love Wait! Wait!, too. I was so excited to hear Jim Dale on Saturday. It was the BEST interview. I wish he had a picture of the little boy in the elevator who inspired Dobby.

Also, I have corrected people on your name, too. Our dear Primary secretary calls you "Vicky" all the time. I don't know why? I can live with "Kim", but "Kimmie" makes me want to puke!

I just finished "Problem Child," so you are a book ahead of me. I finally finished Harry Potter this week, so I can get back to my other books.

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't wait to see the new bourne movie, be awhile before we get it thou :( Hope you enjoy it. that cartoon is great. And congrats on becoming a guest CT for SMJ.

Kara said...

This post was so much fun to read-plenty of eye candy too! Congrats on the fairly easy shopping extravaganza-no easy task! Enjoy your date night:)

Michael Taylor said...

I've noticed that your last few layout have a different "aspect ratio" than previous layouts. Why the change? I like it a little better than the square layouts.
My favorite are your two page layouts

Carol said...

Big big congratulations Victoria for being on Shabby Miss Jen's team. Roll on November!!!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

As for your eye, you poor thing. My eye started watering just as I read that.