Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Monday, October 22, 2007

Does Hallmark Have an Official Listing for...

"Teacher Conference Month"? I think they pretty much have a set aside holiday for everything...well, except for "Hug A Septic Sucker" month, but I bet if the fans of the Red Green Show would unite that could all be rectified! Anyway, it is, indeed, time for teacher conferences. I had the first one via phone with our virtual teacher for Georgia Virtual Academy. She said it appeared as if Aaron was on track. She talked to Aaron and asked him how he was doing and what he liked. He said he really liked the history sections. He is particularly happy because the readings and lessons are on the ancient Egyptians. Next week is Eve. I know another teacher sent a reminder home, but I need to find where I put it so I will actually show up.

:::::::::::::::::and Sew ON, and Sew On::::::



My husband teaching Eve how to do a simple running stitch. He likes to sew, cook and bake. He is the best wife I ever had!


Darcy Baldwin: Pookie Doo/ Doodl E Doo, DJB CHERE/ DJB MICHAEL
Syrin: Silly Butterflies
Emily Merritt: Glittery Mesh Brushes
Lisa Whitney: Chalk Full of Fun Alpha
Bren Boone: Luscious Solids
Mary Fran: Scalloped edge from Can I Be Frank
Natali: Stitches
Scrap Artist: Invogue Kit
Ida: Crayon Doodle
Nancy Comelab: Freebie Cluster from Blog
Weeds and Wildflowers: Paint spatters from Doodle Alpha, Circle and zigzag stitch
Jessica Bolton: Big crossed stitch
Amy Martin: Cloth clothespin
Natalie Braxton: Butterfly


::::::::::::::::Colonial Williamsburg Layout:::::


Text: The blacksmith was creating a rolling pin by request from the Governor's kitchen. The kitchen folks wanted to see if it would be a feasible way to make their own chocolate. They needed the heavy duty rolling pin to crack through the tough cocoa beans. This is a one of a kind creation and they quipped that they will probably not make another one.

Rachel and Noah were especially interested in the blacksmith shop and Aaron thought it was interesting.

Darcy Baldwin: DJB MICHAEL, DJB KENNAscript
Emily Merritt: Word Toppers Date
Birgit: Gralpha
Christina Renee: Book Plate Alpha
Kate Hadfield: Journal Tape, Doodle Alpha, Heavy Duty Staples, Paper Swirls
Nancy Comelab: Vintage Frames
Michelle Coleman: Hand Stamped Alpha, Color Me Solid
Weeds and Wildflowers: Stars, Layered Alpha


:::::::::::::::::::The Dalai Lama:::::::

is in town and Aaron asked Michael about going to see him, so Michael took a half day off from work and they are currently in the front row of the crowd. Michael called me to check in. He related the story of a lady who was trying to save a spot for herself and a friend, but she needed to go find her friend first. She left a very nicely embroidered jacket on the damp grass and asked if Aaron would mind watching it for her. He said sure. After a bit of time she didn't come back and the crowd had increased. He spotted her pass by and realized she didn't know where she had left her jacket, so he grabbed the jacket and tracked her down through the crowd. She came back and thanked him for being so nice. They will get back some time this evening and we plan to go for a family swim at our local pool.

::::::::::::::::::::Primary Program:::::::

Last Sunday was our final practice before the actual program on this Sunday. The children did pretty well. There are a couple of songs where words are switched around or mumbled, but hopefully I will have my nerves enough on end that I won't miss any ques and the adrenaline will keep me going. I have to stand out about 5 rows back so the pianist can see and the kids. I thought about selling advertising space on my rear end. You see I really hate the idea of standing up knowing that rows of folks have to look at my butt. I don't like looking at it and I just feel like I should apologize for others that have to be back there. I know they will get over it, but all of us might need therapy after this!

Afterwards I am going to bring Noah's huge Mr. Potato Head and put some songs in it for the kids to pull out and dress the Potato Head. It will just be fun to be silly.

:::::::::::::::::::Costume Change:::::::::

Eve is going to be a witch instead of a blue fairy. I went to the store and grabbed her some black tights and a simple witch hat. She already has black shoes and a black velvet dress. I also grabbed a skein of black yarn and grey, so Michael could create a wig with highlights. He said he probably would have grabbed green with purple for the highlights. That is what I get for usurping the costume creator position in our house.

Smiles!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

cute layouts.

katg1006 said...

Your layouts are stunning! Wow what an experience to meet The Dalai Lama! I hope they brought a camera to capture the moment!

Lynn Grieveson said...

Love your newsy blog - and lovely layouts! (PS i hate teacher conference!)

klonghall said...

You crack me up! Maybe put a sign on your back--you could come up with something clever--while you lead the music. You are doing a fabulous job in there! The kids are going to sound great next week. I'm sure their parents will tear up, as usual. Now, if I can just stay out of a fight on Sunday, we'll be in business!

See you then!

Carol said...

Ooooh fun making costumes. I can't wait to see. Eve darling, you are going to be the prettiest witch ever! I bet you want to be mean and ugly, but not possible. Just practice your cackle and you'll be fine.

Love the layout with the stitching, how absolutely perfect!

And the program will be top notch, I'm sure.

Gina.Maria said...

Sounds like you have a fun and exciting home life.