Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Say What???

I was driving the kids over to sleepover night at my mom's house and the song "Long Train Runnin'" by the Doobie Brothers came on the radio. I told her I liked this song as a kid when I was about Noah's age. I told her I liked the harmonica, especially, in the song. Rachel responded excitedly, "I like it too! I can't believe we like the same song. The harmonica sound makes me think of what it might be like on a ranch, or in the desert...or in jail!"

Hey if that isn't insight I'm not sure what is!

::::::::::::Where Is A Video Camera....:::::

when you need one? As we were channel surfing during this same loud car ride to my mom's I thought it would be fun to stop on the song "Pieces of Me" by Ashlee Simpson to annoy Aaron in the backseat. Well he ended up making everyone laugh while doing a lip sync and crazy pantomimes to the music. I'm so glad I didn't wreck because I kept glancing in my rear view mirror to watch his crazy antics. He was very funny!

::::::::::::Highland Games:::::::

As my family likes to joke..."If it's not Scottish it's cr@p!" My mom and Aaron are planning on going to the Highland Games at Stone Mountain Park. The Highland Games are almost like a journey to Mecca for my mom. Alex Beaton probably sets aside 10 minutes of his schedule if he's in Georgia for a chat and photo opp!
Another favorite is finding anyone to sing the "Scotsman Song". It makes me laugh every time.

::::::::::::::Report Cards:::::::

came today. Rachel actually kept bugging me to look at hers. The kids both did great. Rachel does need to work on her math facts, but her teacher said she is an enthusiastic learner. I can attest to that. I had a Life Science video about viruses, bacteria and allergies that Aaron watched earlier in the day. I came down to tell Rachel and the others to get ready to get in the car and she said, "Just a minute we're watching this cool video on viruses and bacteria."

:::::::::::::::Wiley Miller::

Michael and I both enjoy his cartoon and I read his children's book The Extraordinary Tales of Ordinary Basil to myself last week. This week I put it in as a read before our regularly scheduled book. Noah can usually be found in a supine position during reading time, but with this book he was perched up next to me with his chin on my shoulder eager for the next word. He would get so upset when I said it was bed time. We finished the book yesterday and he asked when I could get the next in the series. I'll have to start reading to him from the Sunday comics until the next book is published...if one is forthcoming.

Michael quipped to me the other day that he thinks that he and Wiley Miller think so much alike that with two people in the world so similar that one of them is redundant. Since Wiley Miller is a better artist and conveys his thoughts so much more succinctly that Michael must me the redundant one. I told him pish-posh on that. Mr. Miller would have to come over and fix tasty Japanese cuisine and fix all the stuff that breaks at our house and I'm pretty sure he won't so Michael's place in the world is secure. I'm not sure he was at all comforted by my words.

:::::::::::::Doobie Brothers:::::

That name always made me laugh as a kid...still does a bit. This group makes me tap my feet and sing out loud. And the two best places to sing are in the shower and the car. Since I don't have a radio in my shower I can only sing along in my car. "Black Water" came on the other day and that is one of my favorite songs to belt out with the boys on the radio. What songs do you like to sing with gusto?

:::::::::::::Key Rings:::::::::

I was thinking about my key ring because Eve always wants me to detach what I have on the ring and let her play with it while I drive. My mother bought me a little multi-buttoned thingy that plays sound bites from the "Blues Brothers". The kids think it's hilarious and they have never seen the movie. It came on the other day on one of the channels and was so censored you couldn't figure out why the nun got mad at Jake and Elwood.

Do you have something cool on your key ring? Can you tell the house is empty, except for Jasper the Ferret, because I'm talking to the computer?

I hope y'all have a fantabulous weekend!

4 comments:

janna said...

LOL about the song...

Anonymous said...

LOLOL, you crack me up ;), I love the way you write these anecdotes ;).
Thanks for your comments on my blog, you are the best!!!
Hugs & kisses,
Mariquita

Anonymous said...

I love your halloween header! Awesome!

That's hilarious about the car rides and the songs!

It has been too long since I've been over here again! Bad Heather, your blog always makes me smile! I need to make a point of getting here every morning!

Carol said...

How much fun will the highland games be. Wooo hooo. I hope they have dancing and caber tossing (how do you spell caber anyway?) Will you try haggis, my Mike loves it, urrrrrgh. Hope it's not too windy a day, the kilts will be a flying! LOL