Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Last Day of School

My public school kids have left for a day of controlled chaos. It is the last day of school in our county. My homeschooler has chosen to spend the day finishing up the biographies of Benjamin Franklin and Benedict Arnold. I let Aaron keep the public school schedule, because he doesn't want to be caught learning outside of a specified time. I'm not sure if he has caught on that he learns all day long. He decided to keep attending the Homeschool Bowling League during the summer. I think he will sign up for Homeschool Run Club for the fall and they will be adding biking into the mix. In the fall I may add rhetoric to the list of activities. Here is a great resource American Rhetoric.com. I'm going to ask Michael to work on him with debating, so he can logically back up his arguments. Aaron really seems to enjoy history. We just finished a lot of reading and supplementary videos on World War II and the Civil Rights Movement. He is beginning to form his world view. It is really fascinating to be apart of the learning process with him.

We started a new book for family reading time, The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis. I pulled a parental faux pas by starting to read the book Wicked without reading a review first. I didn't get to far when the story became inappropriate for children. I spent about 5 minutes explaining that I picked the wrong "family" book to read. You know what happens when you assume, which I did because I figured a prequel of a children's book would remain in the same vain. Well as the Prince lyric goes, "My face is red, I stand corrected" (speaking of things not little kid appropriate).

I have a couple of additional layouts from the wedding that I'm working on today. I hope to post them soon.

No comments: