Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Mama Doris



I used Paper Moons kit by Anna Benjamin called "Cuppy's Room" and Gina Miller's BYOBB Kit Add On Kit. Font used: Mama Script

Text: What I see know when I look at this photograph is that
Mama Doris Harris came to visit us at our little apartment off Shallowford Road in Decatur. Mama Doris always used this same color of red to dye her hair for as long as she lived.
My brother, Denny, who was diagnosed with autism at the age of four used to smile for the camera. He would smile until right about the time he reached puberty, then he only smiled a forced smile when instructed to do so. Before I came along he kept his room very neat and clean. One day when I was playing when I was very young he gripped the top of my head tightly and told me to "Go Away.' I feel bad for messing up the world he needed to keep in an organized way.
My mom says my birth helped her keep things in perspective and that it was nice to be able to talk to someone.
I would spend summers with Mama Doris and Daddy Bill in Phenix City Alabama, where she would ply me with all sorts of treats: Pringles, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, Reese Cups, vanilla ice cream, Coca Cola, Loorna Doones and Sugar Wafers.
From Mama Doris I learned sarcasm could be honed to a fine art, one my husband doesn't particularly want me to use. She also kept her home immaculate and always presented herself in an elegant manner whenever she left her home.
Single photos can illicit so many memories....

No comments: