Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Friday, May 04, 2007

Evey and Shostakovich...

Tonight as Eve and I were driving home from a baby shower NPR was playing Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1 as performed by
Lisa Batiashvili, violin and the New York Philharmonic. The radio was still on the station because I had wanted to listen to Says You ,but we missed it because it aired the same time as the baby shower. ANYWAY...the music begins and Evey says, "This music sounds like someone is dead. Who died? It is so sad."
I thought her interpretation of the music was so well put. In a review by ."Evan Stephens he says, "...the hugely popular Violin Concerto No.1. Together, they represent Shostakovich in his most disturbing symbolist vein of composition."

She often says similar things about how music makes her feel. She also likes to listen to classical music and Church music, which is easy to do for her when the other kids aren't clamoring to change the channel. I asked her if she would like to take violin lessons and she said, "I don't like to go where people will look at me. It makes me scared." She understands the concept of a recital and that music is performed for audiences. She really articulates herself, so well!


:::::::::::::::Shutterfly:::::::::

I've recently made several 8x8 purchases from Shutterfly during their sale + Free shipping. I have recieved 3 out of 4 books from my initial order. Unfortunately, Rachel's book was sent to Atlanta, but rerouted to Alabama, then to New Jersey. I'm supposed to give the mail one more day and if it isn't delivered call for a reprint. Rachel is the one most excited...wouldn't you know!

I really like the look and size of the book and Noah and Eve have had a great time looking at their books and showing their friends.



Background paper and frame from Misty Mareda's Tiffany kit, Squiggle Fleur by Jen Wilson, Painted Butterfly by Amber Clegg, Vines by Julie Mead



Background paper from Studio Chic by The Shabby Princess, Robot from Anna Benjamin at Paper Moons, Space Doodles by Kate Hadfield, Arrow from Dear Diary by Erica Hite.

Aaron's book is at my mom's house, so I will post a photo of the cover when I get it back.

I had fun designing the covers. I hope you think they are as super D duper as the kids do. (I didn't watch Barney at all today, so I wonder why I'm using his vocabulary?)

************************Goaded Into a Purchase::::::::

Aaron used the line, "But it will make Eve feel better!" We were at the story picking up her prescription yesterday and Aaron saw the Pink Panther cartoon on video and pleaded with me to get it, so Eve would laugh and feel better. I wonder if Aaron is some undiscovered Urban Shaman? Quick call Frontline! I caved, but I wanted to, so does that make Aaron really more of an enabler? I remember laughing really hard at the Pink Panther and I wanted my kids to see the show. They also really enjoy Rocky and Bullwinkle. My favorite parts of those cartoons are the fractured fairytales.

::::::::::::::::::::Medicine:::::::::::::
I just finished giving Eve her Amoxicillan, so I'm off to bed.

Smiles!

1 comment:

sausan said...

This book looks gorgeous, Victoria! Guess I will have to join in too and get me one of those gorgeous books!! Love the book's cover! Great work! Can imagine that your kids loved it! Hope all is fine for you and the kids and happy belated birthday to you !! Big b-day hug from all over the ocean :)
Sylvie