Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Memorial Day Update:



The kids got to ride horses during their climbing trip.
Twig Frames by Carol Abram



The kids hanging out on top of a rock.


I'm working on a layout of Rachel rock climbing and Aaron belaying her. Michael thought it was great getting the shot of Aaron helping Rachel.
I have had very litte computer time now that the kids are home and I haven't felt very well either. I even forgot to take Aaron to his first day of testing for the Iowa Basics Skills Test. It is a two day test. I did get him to the second part of the test today and he will make up the first part tomorrow. The test proctor had to take Aaron's watch from him because he kept checking the time.

A friend of mine and my mom saw this cartoon and made me a copy:


Seattle Post-Intelligencer is where you can find more of this hilarious cartoonists work.


:::::::::::::::Thank You Note:::::::::

Today I recieved a lovely Thank You card from the gentleman I made the slideshow of a Philmont scout trip. He was very pleased with the outcome. I used LightScribe enabled DVD+R with a 4x burn rate and it seemed to keep anything from stalling, or skipping.


:::::::::::::The Sisters Grimm:::::::



This book was a bit intense for kids Eve's age (4-6), and Rachel got a little spooked during the graphic ending. The author gets to introduce to the modern reader the authentic Grimms' tales, which have been very watered down by such cultural icons as Walt Disney. The kids were surprised by the original bits of the different fairy tale characters who are trapped in Ferryport Landing due to a strong spell. These fairy tale characters are called "Everafters" and due to a fear that they would come in conflict with humans the take on disguises and try to fit in to this community. Their are characters that everyone will be familiar with in this book, but the opinion that you have of each of them may be quite altered after finishing this book. Overall, the book is imaginative and clever, but be aware it is intense.

Here's another Rhymes with Orange cartoon that seemed appropriate for this book review:


::::::::::::::::Personal Project::::::

I would like to take our 2006 Disney World photos and create a slideshow. I already have all the music I need. The kids do love to see themselves.

What's that I hear? Dishes calling and laundry wailing!

Smiles!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Victoria I hope you feel better soon. As for less computer time, gah! How on earth do the kids expect you to scrap your beautiful photos!?!?!?! Tell them you have an adoring public that NEEDS to see your beautiful pages. As for the laundry, mine stopped the wailing stage, and has just about given up on me now LOL.