Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Monday, September 10, 2007

A, Mostly, Clean House

::::::::::::A Toe Tappin' Great Movie:::::::

I spent the Saturday cleaning while Rachel was at a sleepover, Michael and Aaron were out doing a clean-up day and rock climbing at Sand Rock, and Noah and Eve were at my mom's house. I'm one who likes background noise, so I had popped in "Murder By Death" and listened to it as I moved around the house. When that movies was over I grabbed Strictly Ballroom.
This movie is so quirky and fabulous! Michael and Aaron came home near the end of the movie and Michael was excited...yes, excited to see I had that movie playing. When it was over he rewound it and played it again. He told the kids to clean in the living room and that they would enjoy watching the movie while they cleaned. There were a couple of times we sent Rachel to do something and she would plead to, "let me just watch this scene, then I'll go!"
I think Michael and I are in agreement that our favorite character is Doug Hastings who is the father to the main character, Scott. This mild mannered geeky guy is a closet innovator and amazing dancer. All of the characters are like a caricature...a little bigger and more colorful, than in most movies. This movie is enjoyable from beginning to end! I highly recommend this film!


::::::::::::::Dryer:::::

Michael was able to fix our dryer that was broken for three days. I have the Mount Everest O' Laundry to clean. The thermal fuse died and I looked up a schematic on-line and looked for information on our type of dryer and diagnosed the problem. Michael took the information and hot-wired the dryer to test the theory and sure enough I was right. He was able to get the part and fix it pretty quickly. What a handy guy!



:::::::::::::Fly On The Wall...Perhaps?::::

Again, this cartoonist has captured one of the quirks in our family. This cartoon depicts how Michael reads books to the children:


If the kids want the book read "right" they give the book to me. If they need a bit of silliness they give the book to Michael. Sometimes when the books are short we will do the readings on the same day. I love Michael's "intrepretations" they are always funny and fairly bizarre.

:::::::::::::::::Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins...Oh, my!::::

Michael's family came over for family home evening and we had French bread pizzas and salad. Michael's mom brought cupcakes and a cake to celebrate the September birthdays, which were Aaron, Rachel and Eve. After everyone left Eve asked, "So why didn't anyone bring me presents?" I told her that it wasn't a birthday party for her, but everyone was wishing her a happy birthday. She, surprisingly, accepted my explanation. The kids love to play with all of their cousins and the kids are really polite. I have some amazing nieces and nephews!

:::::::::::::::::Ballet and Tap:::::::::

Eve begins her ballet and tap classes today. She is chomping at the bit to get started. She keeps wanting to take her outfit and shoes out to try them on.

:::::::::::::::::Cub Scouts::::::

Noah starts back to Cub Scouts today. He seemed accepting, but not excited.

::::::::::::::::Layouts::::::::::

...they are simply ideas floating in my head. Maybe later today I can create one!

Smiles, fine folks!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hey Victoria, it's a fabulous movie isn't it. I love movies with lots of dancing and singing.

Grease, Dirty Dancing, The Full Monty (have you seen it? fabulous!!), oh and Billy Elliott, the kids would love that I'm sure too.