Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Burning the Midnight Oil:

...which makes me think of the group...Midnight Oil. I really loved to crank up the radio and with the window down and sing along (here are the lyrics):

Out where the river broke
The bloodwood and the desert oak
Holden wrecks and boiling diesels
Steam in forty five degrees

The time has come
To say fairs fair
To pay the rent
To pay our share
The time has come
A facts a fact
It belongs to them
Lets give it back

How can we dance when our earth is turning
How do we sleep when our beds are burning

Four wheels scare the cockatoos
From kintore east to yuendemu
The western desert lives and breathes
In forty five degrees

(live - on scream in blue
The time has come
A facts a fact
It belongs to us all
Lets give it back)

...as I recall, MTV used to play music videos and I would also dance around the house or work out on the stationary bike when no one was at home. Fun stuff!

ANYWAY... I'm up looking up vacation information. I love the extra info on Williamsburg Monet was able to provide in the comments. I think they will have fun. I'm also checking into the Apprentice program for kids. They would learn about 3 trades and then pick what they would want to learn. We will see if that fits in with all of the plans.

I have been rather spoiled with the camping opportunites going our usual Western route, so I am having to make a mental and financial adjustment for going North. It should be quite hot, so being in a hotel room should make things more comfortable all round. One of the concerns I have about doing too much reserving for rooms and tickets ahead of time is possible illness with all the driving and activities. Aaron is our historic puker, Rachel is bathroom girl, Eve doesn't want to walk anywhere and you have to keep Noah from urinating on National Monument signs. I can hear it now... "Young man did you know it is disrespectful to urinate on monument signs?"
Noah would respond..."But, I had to go...How about a HUG!?!"

...This leads me to a Noah story for the day...

We dropped the kids off at my parents' house for Friday night sleepover where upon my mother cooked shells and cheese for Aaron and grits for the other three. She was back and forth getting them drinks and qualling arguments and then she would attempt to sit down, which set off some silent alarm. Then, there would be a piercing voice from the bedroom..."GRANNY!"

Finally, my mom was able to sit down for a moment and Noah popped into the living room and gave me a big hug. He said he had finished three servings of grits and would like some ice cream for dessert. Then, in his Noah way said, "Mom, you can sit. I'll get granny to do it!" Mom and I just laughed! What a silly twit that kid is sometimes. I told granny to remain seated and that I would handle the current ice cream request.

...

Noah, also, accompanied me to the credit union today to deposit a couple of checks and I had fun listening to him explain the Fantastic Four and the motivations of the Silver Surfer...again. He was so eloquent and loquacious and I just enjoyed listening. After about fifteen minutes he wraps up by telling me that the destroyer from the Fantastic Four movie was dark matter from the Big Bang he looked at me and sincerely asked, "So, tell me about Nancy Drew."

I was kind of surprised that he was even curious and I couldn't come up with the same enthusiasm to explain all of the characters and plot. He seemed fine with what little information I gave him. Once we pulled up to the credit union his main concern was asking the teller for 4 lollipops so that his siblings weren't left out and turning old before he could roll up his window. He voiced his desire, again, that I get a car with electric windows.

:::::::::::::::::::Gil Mayo Mysteries::::::

We watched two episodes of Gil Mayo Mysteries at my mom's house. I thought the show was interesting. I, especially, liked his habit of correcting grammar and then explaining the rule. This show looks worth the time.

:::::::::::::::Off to::::::::

sleep, perchance, to dream.

Smiles!

No comments: