Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Friday, June 29, 2007

Quirky stuff I Like:

Mental Floss magazine is one I look for every time I go to the library. It is a mixture of science, history and popular cultural presented in a fun and quirky way. The most recent edition is full of interesting Top 10 lists.
Here is a list, from their website, of what is in this edition:

IssueThe Annual 10 Issue
All the world's most important information presented in convenient list form.

features:
• 10 Songs that Changed the World
• 10 Greatest Guerrilla Marketing Campaigns of All-time
• 10 Massive Screw-ups in Paleontology
• 10 Places to see Before They Die
• 10 Landmark Moments in Animation History
And feel smart about:
• 10 Cats Who Changed Civilization
• 10 Nicknames for Natives
• 10 Not-So-Bright Ideas in Science
• 10 Trailblazing Scientists About to Change Your Future

+ a "Squeaky Clean" scatterbrained, a Know-It-All's look at the letter O, a 25-question quiz to end all quizzes, and more!

This magazine is informative and a fun diversion from say...laundry!


::::::::::::::::Strong Bad:::::::::::




This is probably only funny to Americans...well funny to only a few Americans, but our family happens to consist of 6 folks who find this zany humor funny. Strong Bad has a unique way of answering emails about his life and when the segment is over you can usually hover your mouse over some portion of the image to get an additional joke. The other thing I find hilarious is that when you put the address for the site in your computer the window will list it as "Denny's Menu". Denny's is a family eating place in the U.S. The kids love to eat there when we go on rode trips because they can have breakfast any time of the day. The guys who work on this site are in Dunwoody, Georgia, not too far away from where we live. Here is the entry from wikipedia.


:::::::::::::::::::::::Vacation Update::::::::::::

Michael made reservations for a campsite for two days in the Shenandoahs. We have never camped there before, so it should be an adventure. Then, it is off to Colonial Williamsburg. Stop in Amish country at the Shady Maple, then on to Philadelphia for a couple of days. Then up to Hoboken, New Jersey so we can be across from NYC without driving into the city. Site see for a couple of days, then drive to Niagara Falls.

I have finished packing, except for the last minute odds and ends. I have my medicine box filled with bandaids, ointment, stomach relief stuff, swimmer's ear drops, headache medicine...and that reminds me...I need to get another box of junior chewable tablets for Rachel.

Michael returned a slew of library books for me in the last two days and the rest we extended our holds. The family reading book we borrowed is due back the Monday after we get back and I couldn't extend the hold, but it works out. The kids groan every time I end a chapter because they want to know what happens next. I do too, but I have to get to bed so that I can drift in and out of a fitful slumber.



:::::::::::::::::::Rachel::::::::::

Peachy Keen Kit by Rhonna Farrer, Font: DJB MICHELLED

Text: Rachel, as I watch you interact with the world I see your sensitive nature. Your loyalty to family and friends is strong. The reality of death causes you much heartache and tears. Anyone who makes in impression on your life can be assured for an eternal place in your memories and your emotions. I hope that you are able to keep these memories dear, but that you never stop seeking and finding happiness in something everyday.


::::::::::::::::::Carol is a Card:::::::::::

Carol's newest layout for things that didn't really happen is a classic...like all of her stuff. I get the best laughs! She is so clever!


Smiles!

4 comments:

biancka said...

I love your new layout and have fun camping :) We used to go camping all the time and loved it.

Hugz,

Biancka

Jo said...

OH thanks for the mag. title and review! I think I'm going to look for it at my next library trip too~sounds right up my alley:) Ahh...camping! Another thing right up my alley! lol~we love to hike:)

Great page too~love that photo!

Jaime said...

I am jealous of your camping trip! Sounds like it will be a blast! Awesome page too! :)

Carol said...

You are too gorgeous, thank you!

Love your Rachel layout, the cropping of the pic, now I've got to learn that where to crop to get the best out of the pic! Fabulous work and the little bird, too cute.

I shall look forward to hearing tale of your trip and all the fabbo pages you'll be able to scrap, keep that camera charged!! Would love to see some pics of Amish quilts if you get a chance (how cheeky to ask!!) I went to an Amish Quilt Exhibition once over here and it was amazing.