Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Review Day:



Greyfriar's Bobby


The movie "Greyfriar's Bobby" is not one I remembered from childhood, but it looked interesting. I grabbed it off the shelf at the library and put it with my other selections. I thought the movie had dog appeal, so the kids would want to watch it...I was wrong. The kids were entirely disinterested the two times I suggested watching the film. Yesterday, they were playing on the computer, so I decided to pop in the movie and watch it. The story was given at a slow pace, but was such an endearing story of loyalty and community that is was well worth the time. I love how this little skye terrier was able to soften the hearts of all around him as he showed unswerving loyalty to his deceased master. A few tears were shed in this little gem, so be warned to have a hanky available...or long sleeves! I recommend this for all ages!

:::::::::::::::::::::::Tree Castle Island::::::::



We finished this family reading book last night. I would describe this book as teenage version of Survivor Man in the Okefenokee Swamp. The main character Jack Hawkins paddles and poles through the Okefenokee Swamp in his hand made canoe called L'il Possum. Jack is helped through several situations by using his handy Leatherman. Rachel was put off by some of the book because of the creatures Jack kills and eats to survive his trip. She decided to continue listening to the book. There is a surprise for Jack on one of the islands in the form of a person he meets.
I thought the description of the swamp features was well done and the different ways Jack was able to survive was interesting. The story line of Jack and the person he meets on one of the islands is okay, but the way the story ties up the loose end was pretty lame.
So, the book gets high marks for the description of the landscape along with its flora and fauna. The low marks come in the way the author decided to the trite way Jack's story was tied up.

:::::::::::::::::::Ear Update::::

I have an appointment for 11:40a.m., today. I told the advice nurse at the facility that I didn't care if the primary care physician was available. I just need someone to stick an otoscope in my ear and tell me what to do to make it better. I told the nurse I wasn't dizzy (so far) and that I wasn't running a fever. The pain is around the tragus (that little triangular flap) and feels inflammed. Hopefully I'm not harboring any small farm animals in there. This reminds me of the show Rachel and I watched on satellite t.v. called "Eaten Alive". This show was all about parasites that get into the human body. The squirm factor was high! Rachel was surprised to find out that when I was about 12 I had an experience with microoganisms multiplying in my ear canal after a swim in a lake during girl's camp. After getting home from camp I remember waking up with a fever and it seemed as though you could draw an imaginary line down the center of my face. Anything on right side was excrutiatingly painful. I just cried. It must have been on the weekend when my mom took me to the doctor because it was a Doc-in-a-box type place. The doctor diagnosed an infection and gave some antibiotic drops. Three days later there was no relief, so we went back to the doctor. He irrigated my ear, which felt something like a bullet heating my ear. With the ear cleaned out the drops were able to work.
The world is an interesting place, indeed!

::::::::::::

I'll let ya know how things go!

Smiles!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Greyfriars Bobby is the most wonderful story ever. It's my husband's favourite story and we have been lucky enough to catch the original very old B&W version on telly a few times. I hope you get to see that one day, it's pure gold. No matter how many times I see it, I cry buckets.

Hope the ear feels better soon.