Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Taylors Tailoring:

It is really gratifying when you are able to pass on knowledge of something good and useful to your children. In this vein our daughter, Rachel, is a proverbial sponge for trying to soak up any hands on learning opportunity or reading about how to do something. I suppose we could have given her the nickname "Sponge Rachel", but it seriously doesn't flow, so, though a great idea, will just have to go in the circular file. Michael has an infinite amount of patience for teaching if he feels that whom ever it is wants to learn.



papers by Traci Murphy, Fringe from Joann's Fabric Store, Font: Guttenberg MF
Quote: “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand." Author Unknown


papers by Traci Murphy, fringe from Joann's Fabric Store, Font: Marcishand

Text: Rachel asked her dad to teach her how to sew her own purse out of CapriSun bags. Michael had made a similar bag, as a Christmas gift, for Rachel's cousin, Haley Morgan. Michael taught her how to thread the bobbin and thread the sewing machine. He had her practice on a piece of denim, so that she could adjust her stitch length. Rachel was a quick study and an enthusiastic student!

Here is a link to make the pursesJuice Pouch Purses. We used Capri Sun pouches, but the site used Kool-Aid Jammer pouches...works the same.

--------------------

In other extremely exciting news: My BIL and SIL are officially adopting their 4 foster children today, so they now have 7 children. These kids have been apart of the family, in our hearts, since the first day they arrived. YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!

Another BIL and SIL are found out they are expecting a baby boy! I am EXTREMELY excited, but I am in an Aunt Quandry. What is an Aunt Quandry...don't check Wikipedia because the definition will not be there (I suppose I could add it though)? An Aunt Quandry is when one of your few talents as an aunt is making beaded socks for all the girls in the family. It is a fun and simple project: I simply use plastic tri-beads and crochet thread and bead around the edge of a bobby sock. This makes the girls very happy and makes me happy. I have only branched out with the beading once and that was as a joke for Christmas when I crocheted and beaded a golf cover for my BIL, Benjamin's, sand wedge. I figured he was one of the few male members of the family that might actually take it golfing. It was multi-colored (similar to Rachel's Capri Sun bag and had orange beads). So, what to make for this new little fellow, Spencer (they already picked out his name) has left me in my Aunt Quandry.

1 comment:

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

Aunt Quandry, yes, you should definitely add it to Wikipedia! :) I don't live close (and sometimes don't feel close, actually) to my siblings, so when I do get to see my nephews and neices, I feel awkward. Like I should be smarter, or something. My kids? Hey, they know that I'm smart! But to try to be as smart as their mom? No way! LOL So I have my own feeling on the term, LOL!