Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, June 15, 2006

True Grit



I used Mo Jackson's Aunt Laura, Twas The Night, Board Book Alpha, Dorothy's Kitchen 3 and Font: Pea Aleis

Grits are often an interesting topic of conversation because so many people have an opinion of how they should be cooked. My mother, especially, hates for anyone to put sugar on their grits. My children love to eat grits the way my mother makes them. Only Rachel will willingly eat my grits. I use only salt, water, and butter. Often times when you eat them at a restaurant they have let them cook entirely too long and have created an almost inedible form of wallpaper paste. I usually avoid ordering grits, when we are traveling, outside of Alabama or Tennessee. My favorite companion food with grits is a nice buttermilk biscuit. This is a kind of cozy food combo.
Aaron, who since a very small child, has abhorred the texture and flavor of grits decided that he actually quite likes instant grits with bacon. He had this epiphany at Scout camp this week. I'm not sure what to think because I hate the texture and flavor of those instant grits packs. I wonder if he might not have accidentally burned off several taste buds on a molten s'more, or something?! Sometimes our tastes can be expanded, by necessity, on camping trips.
One of my favorite movie moments is in the movie "My Cousin Vinny" when the main character is served grits and he wonders what is a "Grit". Here is Grits defined by wikipedia. The funny thing about the list on things you can put on grits is sugar and ketchup, which my mother can NOT countenance. I wonder if she will try to go into wikipedia and erase those choices?
If you get a chance to make grits, but are wondering how try Alton Brown's method on makingCheese Grits. This is a Food Network site.

------------
On an aside, I made a kickin' smoothie yesterday! I used frozen strawberries (4), frozen blueberries (about a 1/4 cup), frozed red rasperries (about a handful), 1/2 of a fresh banana sliced, 1 cup 2% milk, and 2 scoops of lowfat frozen vanilla yogurt. Super Perfect for me!

2 comments:

janna said...

I must admit, I have never had GRITS....
But I use to say "Kiss my Grits" a lot. LOL
I love the LO too!
I have been banned mo's site, because I design. BOO HOO!!! I love her stuff.

Your smoothis sounds yummy

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

Okay, that's it, you're moving in with me! LOL I make my grits the way you do! Although, I admit, I do use the instant stuff from the packets. What can I say, WIC doesn't let me buy bulk. *sigh* LOL But the flavors? UGH! no way!

and um...sugar??? I think those people must have gone camping. ;)