Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Toot! Toot!

No, I haven't been published, but I wanted to give you my unsolicited review of "Cars" by Pixar. This movie has it all! What is "it"? "It" is a great moral message, magnificent digital design (which all y'all should especially appreciate), great visual representations of human quirks in the form of cars, and great jokes. If you go to the theater do NOT leave until the house lights come up. If you do you will miss the great ending gag in the movie. Pixar amazingly raises the proverbial bar each time they make a film. My kids really liked the pre-film short movie they put at the beginning entitled "One Man Band". You do not have to be a fan of Nascar or a car buff of any kind to enjoy this film. My favorite characters were "Tow Mater" played by Larry the Cable Guy and the tire store owner and his assistant, Luigi and Guido. There are numerous laugh out loud and clap out loud moments, especially near the end having to do with John Ratzenberger. You know it is a classic when before you walk out of the theatre you are quoting your favorite parts and those parts cover the entire film. Oh, and lest I forget about them, the Car Talk guys--the Tappart Brothers, as the race car sponsors for the main character made me hoot with laughter!

An interesting irony about the title of this particular blog is that race cars don't have horns. I had never actually paid attention to that fact before. (My horn hasn't worked for about 4 years and it is kind of funny when my husband drives my car and he tries to beep at folks and he just gives a frustrated gasp).

So, if I was giving a review akin to Ebert and Roeper of the local news critics I would give the movie, Cars, 4 out of 4 Tires!

No comments: